Thursday, September 8, 2011

So, I randomly woke an hour ago and have been lying in my bed since unable to stop thinking about this--so i'm putting it out there in hopes that i will then be able to go back to sleep. It seems like my OB could really care less about me or my babies. I was transferred from a midwife to this OB at 20 weeks due to TTTS. However, despite seeing him 3 times now, he has never once looked at my babies, and spends a total of about 10 minutes in the room with me. He's been performing the Fibronectin test to establish if I'm going to be delivering in the next 2 weeks. He told me outright at my last appt 2 days ago that seeing him is completely unnecessary as I'm in Maternal Fetal Medicine every other week, and that I should bully them into checking my urine and PB so that I don't have to bother with him. I'm going to be 26 weeks on Saturday.

I realize that people deliver babies to doctors that don't know them every.single.day. Even if Dr Hartman did look at my twins every time, he could be sick or on vacation or stuck in surgery when it's time for my boys to come, but at the same time, the lack of his direct knowledge to my boys worries me. I love delivering at McKay Dee...but I think I've come to the conclusion that I don't trust this guy to by my OB. I don't want someone who is going to be fussing over me don't get me wrong. I just want my midwife back. Someone who took time to focus on me and my babies. I was never in my midwife's office for more than 15 minutes, but in those 15 minutes he was focused on me, the babies, asking questions, making sure to let me know that having questions of my own to ask was not only OK, but encouraged. Are there OBs out there like this?

6 comments:

Fike's Lives said...

I can't imagine the frustration. Good Luck!!!

Julie said...

Yea, but he is Idaho Falls. Sorry.

SarahJo said...

You should look up a dula in your area, a friend of mine is one up in Idaho and it's really a great comfort to expecting mothers and their families apparently.

Sheila said...

My OB was super awesome!! She deals with risky pregnancies too. A lot of the time, they won't take you so late, but if you'd like her name, let me know.

Candace said...

Deb,
I totally feel your frustrations! He is my OB as well and I am in the same boat as you, wondering if it is possible to find a doctor who will actually give you and your babies the care you deserve and need. When you find a good one let me know, I'm so ready to make a switch!

Blackeyedsue said...

I have never EVER heard anything good about Hartman. Ever. I even went to HS with his daughters. Hilary's OB was wonderful and I keep hearing great things about her. Karen Boheen. I love Guy. I am so sad that he couldn't be your midwife through all of this. Because he is wonderful.