Sunday, August 12, 2012

Carter
Austen
Carter (left) Austen (right)

Carter (top) Austen (bottom)




Austen (left) Carter (right)
Austen (left) Carter (right)
Sometimes I forgot how incredibly fortunate I am to have both of my babies.  I am a member of a group on facebook, of other moms of TTTS, who also rushed to Dr. Chmaits team for help.  Everything went so smoothly with my diagnosis, surgery, recovery and remainder of the pregnancy--making it to 37 weeks 3 days, that I was spared the true horror that this condition can be.  The last few days quite a few moms have been posting memorials to their lost baby.  Many have lost their recpient twin due to heart conditions.  Most cases, it's that the TTTS was so late onset, that even surgery wasn't able to reverse the condition.  One mom was diagnosed the same week in her pregnancy that I was, had her babies at 29 weeks, and then lost one.  The donor twin spent THREE MONTHS in the nicu.  I cannot imagine.  If you or someone you know is carrying twins, GET INFORMED.  Be sure to have your fluid levels monitored closely.  And, should a problem arise, HAVE THE BEST TEAM by your side.  Flying to LA for surgery with 18 hours notice was not in any way cheap, easy, or convenient.  But they SAVED my life.  They SAVED my babies.  Dr Chmait's team is the BEST team when it comes to treating fetal conditions.  My twins are 8 months old, and they are in daily contact with me.  They track their emotional, developmental, and overall growth.  They love them.  They celebrate with me the true victory that my twins ran the gauntlet and lived to tell about it.  Sure, my babies have spent the last three days battling pneumonia, and having 2 sick babies at home is so exhausting and difficult, but .... I have TWO babies at home.   TWO.  Not only that, but even when they were so sick, they are happy.  They are sweet and gentle.  They are my life. 

1 comment:

Ashley said...

I am sorry to hear that they have been sick. I want you to know that I keep you all in my prayers and I miss you all.