Saturday, May 19, 2012

Hogle Zoo May 2012
About 2 months after we closed on our first house, we found out we were expecting Ava.  I didn't want to send my new baby to daycare, but we couldn't afford to lose my income.  I was so blessed to have an amazing boss who decided that 99% of my job was internet based, so I could work from home.  I spent four amazing years working from home.  This had amazing benefits, but one of the things that always pained me, was that while our neighbors were going to the zoo, the park, the aquarium, and other various adventures, my kids were being told "Sorry. I'm working." " Just a second, I'm working."  This didn't permanently damage them (that I know of.) 
When I found out we were having twins last year, I knew I had reached that point where juggling a 40 hour work week and kids was no longer going to be possible.  My kids went to day care a few days a week.  Ava loved it so much, she went every day. Her teacher was amazing, and I credit her for how well Ava is prepared for school.  Simon's social skills greatly improved.  They weren't totally emotionally stunted after all.  Sure, we contracted RSV and pink eye.  Illness is a 100% possibility when you're with a ton of kids every day.  I'm sure kindergarten will be no different in this respect.
I left my job almost a year ago.  I spent 5 months on "bed rest."  Tuesdays were our adventure days with the Keopples.  She opened our world to the Dinosaur Park, Kangaroo Zoo, cupcake shoppes--thanks for that by the way. 
So now, the weather is glorious. We have a twin stroller.  I am adventure mom.  Some people think I'm crazy that I'm hauling 4 kids (5 and under) all over.  But the truth is...if we don't have an adventure, it's hard for me to get out of bed.  I want to lie there and snuggle my precious twins. I want to shut out the rest of the noise.   I get lost in how easy it is to love and be loved by tiny babies.  The tantrums and struggles of a 5 and 3 year old overwhelm me, and I just struggle.  I also want my kids to have these memories.  To go to the zoo. The aviary. The dinosaur park.  The train.  I want to do the things normal kids get to do.  I may over do it, but it's just so that they don't have an absent mom.

No comments: