Friday, January 30, 2009

why c-section

So I have been asked about 50 times, why Simon is going to be delivered via c-section. Here's the down-low...or whatever it is the kids are saying these days.

When I had Ava, I woke up at 5am with contractions already 7 minutes apart. By 8:30 am I was 2 minutes apart and on my way to the hospital. I don't remember all the dialation etc stuff, but I stayed 2 minutes apart until like 11am. They gave me a shot of morphine--and told me to come back later. We went to Joye's and had pancakes--they were the most delicious pancakes of my entire existance. I dont' remember much, because the morphine made me slip in and out of conciousness and did NOTHING for the pain. NEVER ACCEPT THE MORPHINE!!! I remember being on Joye's bed and just crying, as the pain got worse, and Chris carried me back to the car. This was about 1:30. The nurses immediately called in my favorite person in the whole world, Dr. Silver--aka anestesiologist. The contractions got harder and faster, but the rest of my labor didn't progress. Instead of dialating and softening, the lady parts closed up shop. About 4, they noticed that every time I contracted, Ava's heart rate dropped. Since my doctor was not available, I had about 3 different "on call" docs. About 7pm, Dr. Margit Lister came on duty. She walked in, checked out the chart, and about 2 minutes later I was wheeled down to surgery. Ava's chord was wrapped around her twice. Dr. Lister delivered her and saved her life. It was decided that since Ava was only a 7lb 3oz baby, and I definately have the child baring hip space, that there was no explaination as to why my body wouldn't progress. So, my doc advised that future children should also come c-section, to avoid tearing my scars and save the babies from the fetal stress.
Also, I had a really great and easy recovery from Ava's birth. I did not have the trauma and horrific pains I have read and heard about people having from a vaginal birth. Quite frankly, if my doctor told me I had to give birth vaginally I'd probably get down on my knubby knees and beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeg for the alternative.
Well there ya go. That's "why" Simon is coming via c-section. Hope that satisfies curiosity.
The end.

2 comments:

Leah said...

Once you've had a c section its the only way to go. Babies can be a okay, but the chances of complications for the host, as it were, are ridiculous. I should know, long talks with two OBs and multiple other docs, and thus I am well informed.
Plus if you are weird like me, and didn't want pain meds and they take you last minute for a c section. Your butt is knocked out. So you wake up a little while later in massive amounts of pain, contractions can't hold a candle, and a baby that you don't remember having. Still worth all the frantic mayhem.
congrats on the joys of planned delivery.

OH and not sure if Copec mentioned, we invited ya'll over for food and football Sunday! Woohoo!

Phil and Cami said...

Hey Deb! I'm glad you're feeling good with this c-section. It can be a difficult decision to make, if given the decision. I think it's funny that your docs don't know why your body "couldn't" progress. They must have never heard of Heavenly Father! ;) If Ava's cord was wrapped around her and you gave birth vaginally, she probably wouldn't be here today.j Isn't it amazing how Heavenly Father takes care of us, even when we don't realize it?
I don't know if I've ever sent you my blog address before, but if not, feel free to visit! philcamiandbaby.blogspot.com

Blog Archive